Animal Protection > Worldwide Actions > Australia > Welfare Actions
Animal Cruelty Hot Line (anonymous)

Animal Liberation NSW 1800 Anonymous Number - voiceless suffering animals desperately need your help

What is it?

Animal Liberation NSW has introduced an anonymous free-call number for people who witness animal cruelty in rural areas. Until now, concerned citizens who witness cruelty have had to leave their personal details with their complaint.

This unfortunately leads to some cases going un-reported due to fear of retaliation. If you witness instances of animal cruelty / neglect and wish to remain anonymous, by calling 1800 751 770 you can help to end unnecessary suffering for our voiceless friends.

What information do I need to report?

It is important to report any instances of cruelty / neglect as soon as you see them - this helps to ensure that suffering does not continue unnoticed, and can be treated sooner. When calling, you should provide us with the following so we can best attend to the problem:

* When you noticed the problem (date and time)

* The type of animal(s) and a description

* An idea of how many animals are affected

* The animal's location (be as specific as you can - landmarks are useful in rural areas)

* What is the problem e.g:

    o Details of poor living conditions

    o Malnutrition

    o Abandonment

    o Other observable health problems / untreated injuries

* Any details on the person(s) you believe may be responsible for the situation

* Details of any witnesses who you believe may help with the situation

* Any other information you think will help an inspector investigate the complaint

What happens next?

We have employed private investigators throughout NSW to look into reports of animal suffering. After reviewing your complaint, we will provide the information to one of our investigators. Obviously we have limited resources, but our investigators will endeavour to get to the relevant area as soon as possible. The investigators will then assess the situation and determine the required course of action which, through co-ordination with the relevant authorities, may include:

* Providing advice / directions to the relevant parties on animal care and welfare

* Issuing warnings / infringement notices to the relevant parties

* Collecting evidence to initiate prosecution against the relevant parties

* Seizing the animals so they are out of the hands of those inflicting cruelty. The inspector may subsequently re-visit the situation to ensure that breaches have ceased, and if not, may elect to take further action. And you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you've done a good thing and have helped a voiceless friend in need.

Urgent cases

Obviously we will endeavour to get to the affected animal(s) as soon as possible, but if the case appears dire or urgent, the animal may be attended to sooner if you contact the RSPCA or your nearest Rural Lands Protection Board.

Progress to date

Our 1800 number is already a major operation, having received over 480 calls as at December 2006.

Hundreds of animals have been directly helped through calls to this number by concerned people like you. Animals have been rescued, provided with food, water and shelter, and the police are currently investigating 3 cases with a view to prosecution.

Cruelty in your local suburban area

We are trying to provide a voice for the often neglected and isolated animals in rural NSW. However, obviously all animals deserve a life free from cruelty, suffering and neglect. If you witness instances of cruelty or neglect in your local suburban area, your best courses of action are:

* Contacting the RSPCA switchboard or your local RSPCA Inspectorate (see the RSPCA NSW website for contact details and look under "Cruelty" for details of local Inspectorates).

* Contacting the police. Police have powers under the Prevention of Cruelty To Animals Act to immediately stop any suffering, give directions to the perpetrator and even take the case to court and seek prosecution if needed.

After you have made the complaint, be pro-active and follow up with the relevant authority to make sure something is being done! Remember, that when contacting the RSPCA or your local police, you will be required to give your details, but that information is confidential.

Cruelty Laws and Codes of Practice

Chances are if you witness a situation which concerns you, then a breach of legislation is possibly being committed. However, if you would like to know more about legislation or codes of practice regarding animal welfare, please visit the links below:


* Or visit the NSW Department of Primary Industries Home Page and look under Agriculture, Animals, Animal Welfare.

Fair Use Notice and Disclaimer
Send questions or comments about this web site to Ann Berlin,