Practical Issues > Health - Index > Vegan Index
Dairy-Related Outbreaks, Illnesses, Recalls: 2010 to April 2012
full article here: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/04/dairy-related-outbreaks-illnesses-recalls-2010-to-present/
by News Desk | Apr 11, 2012
In February of this year the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released a study which found that raw milk is 150 times more likely than pasteurized milk to sicken those who drink it. The study took into account all dairy-related outbreaks between 1993 and 2006.
Since that time, a number of outbreaks linked to dairy products have occurred, expanding the data set on dairy outbreaks beyond what the CDC was able to take into account.
The following line list was compiled by Real Raw Milk Facts through searches for government and dairy industry press releases, reports and newsletters announcing dairy-related outbreaks and recalls.
The data precede official statistics from the CDC, which have an approximately 2-year time lag before being available to the public.
- 24 raw dairy outbreaks with 309 illnesses, no deaths (22 fluid raw milk, 2 aged raw milk cheese)
- 2 pasteurized dairy outbreak with 39 illnesses, no deaths
- 1 pasteurized Mexican-style cheese sporadic illness, no deaths
- 2 queso fresco Mexican-style cheese outbreak with 67 illnesses, no deaths
- 3 sporadic illnesses and hospitalizations from illegal Mexican-style cheese, no deaths
Recalls (no illnesses reported)
- 14 raw dairy (7 fluid raw milk, 7 aged raw milk cheese)
- 7 queso fresco Mexican-style cheese
- 8 pasteurized (non-queso fresco) cheese
- 4 dairy product recalls due to inadequate pasteurization