How to Build a Mesh Fence
You can purchase all materials at farm
supply stores such as
Tractor Supply Company or home improvement stores such as
- Posts. You can choose metal T-posts or wooden posts. You can
get wooden posts cut to specifications. If you tell a store worker the
dimensions of your fence, they can suggest how many posts you will
need. Generally you will place posts about 7-10 feet apart.
- Mesh cloth. It comes in rolls, in different strengths. Your
fence will be stronger if you get a strong mesh (such as the welded
- Baling wire or metal ties to attach the mesh to the posts.
Baling wire comes in a roll and can be cut into pieces. A heavy duty
staple gun can also be used to attach mesh fencing to wooden posts.
- Concrete if
wooden posts. Metal T-posts are also stronger if set in concrete.
Ask store workers to advise you on how many bags to get for the type
of posts you are using. Usually one 40-lb bag of concrete can be used
to set two posts.
- Shovel or post hole digger if setting posts in concrete.
Thin mesh and T-post
Stong mesh fencing
- Determine where you want your fence to go. You can push wooden stakes
into the ground where you plan to have the corners of your fence, and
tie string from stake to stake. You can then place your posts along
- Pound T-posts into the ground with a hammer or set them into the
ground with concrete. Wooden posts
should be set in concrete.
- At least 1.5 feet of the post should be underground. T-posts should be
inserted into the ground until the "V" that extends out from the post
- The closer you place the posts to each other, the stronger the fence
will be. For instance, if the posts were 15 feet apart the fencing
would sag in the middle.
Wood posts were set in the corners, and metal T-posts were used
between corner posts. This fence has kept many 50-70 pound dogs
- Attach the mesh to T-posts with wire ties
or baling wire. Attach the mesh at the top of the post, in
the middle of the post, and at the bottom of the post.
- Fencing can be attached to wooden posts with wire or with a heavy-duty
Two wire ties are used to attach the mesh to the top of the T-post.
- A gate will work best if attached to a
post set in concrete. You can purchase gates at home improvement
stores. You can also make a gate out of wood and mesh fencing.
This gate was made with a wooden frame. Mesh fencing was stapled to
the frame. Decorative finials were screwed on top of the posts to make
it look more attractive.
The wooden gate is attached to the wood post with a simple door hinge.
A slide lock was also added to help keep the fence shut. A bike lock
can also be used to keep the gate firmly shut.