Practical Issues > "To Do" Index > Activism > Twelve Days of Xmas 2009
Twelve Days of Xmas - Day 2 - Support POWs
(naked male chick on right, naked female chick on left - no sexism here)
DAY 2: SUPPORT OUR POWs & FIGHT REPRESSION
Our second day of Operation: 12 Days of Xmas '09 is dedicated to supporting our political prisoners. For an extensive list of political prisoners which includes not only animal and earth liberation prisoners but also those that have been imprisoned for social justice, anti-war and defense of civil liberties, click on the graphic above or if you are reading a text only document, click on the link here:
When you write to political prisoners please keep in mind that their mail is read by others and for tips about writing political prisoners check out:
In conversations with Peter Young and Keith Mann, who have both done prison time for animal liberation, we have learned how happy they were to receive letters and photos that helped them pass the time. And they both said that the thing that really made them happiest was to see reports of continuing actions for animal liberation.
Good resources for news about government repression and the "Green Scare":
1. Send holiday cards, letters, pictures and other gifts to those serving time for animal liberation, earth liberation and other social justice causes. Contributing to a prisoner's commissary fund is one of the best ways to support a prisoner.
2. Organize actions and events that can be dedicated to individual prisoners or groups like the SHAC 7. Make sure you let the POW know that you have dedicated an event or an action to them. Pictures of the event or action would be great. Please exercise caution and consider the legality of your event or action. If your action or event is illegal, not only will you put yourself in jeopardy, you might also endanger the prisoner. Use discretion and remember that what is legal in one place might not be in another.
3. Contribute to the support groups of those activists who are standing up to government repression, to grand juries in the USA and to any other form of governmental, judicial or law enforcement repression.
4. Support prisoner support groups:
United States: http://www.arprisonsupport.com/
5. Make a conscious effort to learn about security culture. Incorporate security culture into your life. More about this very important issue in a future action alert.
Note about the 1st Day of Xmas. Fabian Henderson, the jerk who threw Oreo off the roof of a Brooklyn building, appeared in Kings County court today. He was brought before Judge Cassandra Mullen for sentencing, with his hands cuffed behind his back. His Attorney argued for no jail time and a sentence of community service and probation.
The Judge did not appear to be moved but she did grant an adjournement in order to give both sides the opportunity to present relevant arguments regarding the sentencing. It appears that Fabian Henderson will be spending the holidays in jail this year. His next court date is January 5, 2010.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions feel free to contact us at: email@example.com
Visit the WAR Calendar for future events: http://calendar.yahoo.com/winanimalrights
Visit the WAR MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/winanimalrights
Visit WAR on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Win-Animal-Rights/25169195791
Coming events: Mark your calendars now!
Friday, December 18th - SHAC Global Day of Action - Fortress Investment
Other HLS actions and ASPCA protests will be announced soon.
"If you care about the animals and the earth: GO VEGAN & BUY CRUELTY FREE!"