"POM Wonderful" is the only pomegranate juice maker that tests on animals, and the tests the company funds are truly hideous.
POM Kills Animals
When PETA learned that POM was funding deadly experiments on animals, we immediately asked the company to meet with us to discuss accurate non-animal test methods such as human clinical trials. POM refused to abandon animal testing, instead preferring to continue conducting useless experiments that require researchers to torment and kill animals in laboratories.
Other companies, such as Naked Juice, Frutzzo, Old Orchard, and Lakewood, make delicious and healthy 100 percent pomegranate juice without harming a single animal--yet POM has paid experimenters to do the following:
1. Lock week-old mouse pups--whose mothers were fed pomegranate juice--in a chamber with almost no oxygen for 45 minutes in order to induce severe brain damage. The babies were decapitated, and their brains were removed for study.
2. Critically damage the arteries of rabbits in order to simulate erectile dysfunction--a bizarre attempt to suggest that drinking pomegranate juice might alleviate this ailment.
3. Induce heart disease (atherosclerosis) in mice who were fed POM--the mice were then killed and cut open to examine their hearts.
Studies to determine the health benefits of pomegranate juice can easily be conducted on willing human volunteers. It has been proved time and time again that non-animal test methods are more reliable, accurate, and applicable to humans than animal tests are--and more than 20 of POM�s competitors do not fund any experiments on animals.
What You Can Do
1. Refuse to buy POM's juices or teas until the company agrees to permanently end animal experiments. If you're buying pomegranate juice, stick with any of POM's competitors, which do not fund animal experiments.
2. Forward this anti-POM video to your e-mail list and ask everyone you know to join you in boycotting POM.
5. Help us spread the "POM Horrible" video around by posting it on your MySpace profile, YouTube page, blog, or personal Web page. Stream this on your page.
<embed src="http://www.peta.org/swf/pom_horrible.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="255" height="195" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed> <br> Learn more at <a target="_blank" href="http://www.peta.org">peta.org</a>
6. Find out if your local health-food store carries POM. If not, thank the store and ask it to pledge not to carry POM juice until the company ends its deadly tests. If the store agrees, please let us know.
7. If any health-food store near you does carry POM, meet with the store manager and ask him or her to pull POM from its shelves until the company agrees to stop funding animal tests. Many stores have already agreed to do so; if you need help, please let us know.
8. If the store manager refuses, please collect signatures on this petition and present it to him or her.
10. Wear your support! Check out the new "POM Horrible" apparel at CafePress.com.
"With the broad range of research alternatives available today, we at Welch's have determined that we can remain committed to scientific research
-- without the further funding of animal research."