Practical Issues > Shopping Index
Become a Compassionate shopper in 2011 with BUAV'S new Little Book of Cruelty Free!
A couple of weeks ago, the British Union Against Vivisection (BUAV) invited subscribers to this list to "Become a Compassionate shopper in 2011 with BUAV�S new Little Book of Cruelty Free!"
It turns out that, among the 112 personal care products listed as not tested on animals, only 25, or 22%, are approved by the British Vegan or Vegetarian Society as not containing animal ingredients. The other 78% may contain parts of animal bodies, and are thus hardly "cruelty-free."
Become a Compassionate shopper in 2011 with BUAV'S new Little Book of
Being a compassionate consumer has never been easier with the latest edition of the BUAV's Little Book of Cruelty Free, enabling shoppers to make ethical choices and buy cosmetic, personal care and household products that haven't been tested on animals.
Contrary to popular belief, products that are tested on animals are still on sale and widely available throughout the EU, including in the UK. The latest Little Book of Cruelty Free lists over 100 companies which have all been awarded the Leaping Bunny logo and are guaranteed by BUAV to be free from animal testing.
There is now a bigger choice of products than ever before. New additions to the Little Book of Cruelty Free include high street retailers Superdrug and Argos, as well as Pussycat Doll Kimberley Wyatt's new make-up range BM Beauty. Other newly approved companies for 2011 include Davina Peace, RAW Skin Food, Natroma, The Natural Soapworks and the exclusively cruelty-free retailer, Greendeers.com.
The BUAV is campaigning to end animal testing for all beauty products sold in Europe with the No Cruel Cosmetics campaign backed by BUAV Approved companies including Marks & Spencer, Bulldog male grooming, Neal's Yard, Suma and BM Beauty.
Over 16,000 supporters have already signed the No Cruel Cosmetics campaign petition to the European Commission. Please join them at www.nocruelcosmetics.org.
You can reject cruel cosmetics now by only buying products bearing the Leaping Bunny logo - download the Little Book of Cruelty Free.
Michelle Thew Chief Executive of BUAV said: "We are delighted to welcome our newly approved companies who have rejected animal testing. No animal should have to suffer in cruel and out-dated tests for beauty and cleaning products. Please sign the No Cruel Cosmetics petition and guarantee your products are cruelty free by buying only those bearing the Leaping Bunny logo."